“It’s more than a game, it’s your life”
MYSecurityCenter is supporting Safer Internet Day on February 8th 2011. This is organised by INSAFE (www.saferinternet.org) to promote safer and more responsible use of online technology and mobile phones, especially amongst children and young people across the world. Each year hundreds of events are organised to raise awareness about online safety issues. From cyber-bullying to social networking, each year Insafe aims to be at the forefront of emerging online issues and chooses a topic reflecting current concerns. This year, they ask us to look more closely at our “virtual lives” and discover how our real self lives the virtual experience.
This year, efforts will focus on virtual lives. Today young people spend a good part of their lives on activities ranging from online gaming to social networking. In doing so they face multiple challenges related to their privacy, reputation and health.
A few key facts to contemplate!
- Gamers spend on average 8 hours weekly playing online.
- Young people sleep 2 to 3 hours less per night than 10 years ago.
- In January 2010, 18 million accounts were registered on Second Life.
- Facebook reports more than 500 million active users.
- Users spend 700 billion minutes on Facebook each month.
- 13 million players in World of Warcraft, world’s largest MMORPG.
MMORPGs generated $1.5 billion in subscription revenues worldwide in 2008, forecast to reach $2.5 billion by 2012.
- Up to 250,000 players are simultaneously online on WoW.
- Transactions and sales of virtual goods in virtual worlds were estimated at $18 billion in 2009.
Some key messages
- Hiding behind your avatar, pseudo or profile page will not shield you.
- Your actions in your virtual life can impact on your real life.
- Monitor your playing activities: a balance between online and offline is important.
- Look for virtual worlds that don’t encourage consumerism.
Stay safe online, both on your PC and on your smartphone. Download our antivirus software to keep safe and protect your identity . https://secure1.mysecuritycenter.com/gb/en/msc/eshop/product-info/my-internet-security-gold/base